Dover- The Delaware State Police arrested 33-year-old CHRISTOPHER D. JERNIGAN of Dover, DE, after a traffic stop led to the discovery of a weapon and drugs.
The incident occurred on July 22, 2020, at approximately 2:39 p.m., when a Trooper observed a white Ford Fusion, traveling southbound on S. Dupont Highway (US 13) above the posted speed limit. A traffic stop was initiated and contact was made with the operator and sole occupant, Christopher Jernigan. Upon contact with Jernigan, the Trooper detected an odor of marijuana.
A subsequent search of the vehicle was conducted and the following was located inside:
- approximately 222.46 grams of marijuana
- .40 caliber handgun with a magazine loaded with (6) rounds
- drug paraphernalia
Jernigan was taken into custody without incident and a computer inquiry revealed that he was a person prohibited from possessing a firearm. He was transported back to Troop 3 where he was charged with the following:
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Firearm/Destructive Weapon If Previously Convicted of A Violent Felony
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon Semi Auto or Auto By Person Prohibit Who Also Possesses Controlled Substance
- Possession With Intent To Deliver a Controlled Substance
- Possession of Controlled Substance Tier 1 Quantity
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Speeding in Excess of 55 MPH
Jernigan was arraigned before the Justice of the Peace Court and released on $112201.00 unsecured bond.
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Delaware State Police Official Web Site
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Melissa Jaffe
Released: 072320 0918
The post Traffic Stop Leads to Drug and Weapon Charges- Dover appeared first on Delaware State Police - State of Delaware.