Camden- The Delaware State Police are currently investigating an incident that occurred on June 9, 2020, involving a disorderly group that resulted in several arrests.
The initial incident began in the City Limits of Dover, with a group of approximately 40 individuals protesting. The group migrated out of the City Limits of Dover and reconvened on South DuPont Highway (U.S. 13) southbound to the area of Wawa located at 200 East Street, Camden, at approximately 6:17 p.m. During this time, the group entered onto U.S. 13 southbound and northbound, began acting aggressively toward motorists and resulting in all lanes of travel blocked by the protestors.
The individuals were advised multiple times by Law Enforcement Officers the protest was not lawful because it was obstructing traffic and to exit the roadway and move onto the shoulder. The incident escalated with protestors becoming disorderly. Protestors then refused to allow a Dover Police Officer in a marked police vehicle to proceed through. Once the officer exited the patrol car, individuals became disorderly.
The protestors unlawfully remained congregated in the roadway obstructing traffic and refused to disperse. The protestors were offered alternative protest options that did not entail violations of the Delaware Disorderly Conduct law.
By their actions, the protestors intentionally violated three sections of the Delaware Code 11/1301.
- The protestors engaged in threatening behavior,
- The protestors obstructed vehicular traffic, and
- The protestors congregated with other persons in a public place and refused to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse.
As a result, 22 individuals were taken into custody and detained. Of those 22 individuals, 20 were arrested and two were released with no chargers.
The chargers included the following misdemeanor offenses:
- Disorderly Conduct when Refusal to Disperse (All 20 Individuals)
- Disorderly Conduct by Obstructing Vehicular Traffic (All 20 Individuals)
- Disorderly Conduct by Obstructing Pedestrian Traffic (All 20 Individuals)
- Disorderly Conduct by Fighting or Violent Tumultuous or Threatening Behavior (All 20 Individuals)
- Resisting Arrest (4 Individuals)
- Hindering Prosecution Prevent or Obstructs by Force (3 Individuals)
All of the individuals were arraigned before the Justice of the Peace Court and released on either their own recognizance or unsecured bond. A condition of bail included the following: The defendant will not interfere with public egress or ingress or shutdown public right-of-ways or block roadways when physically protesting unless legally permitted.
Delaware State Police Investigating Disorderly Group Resulting in Several Arrests- Camden
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Delaware State Police Official Web Site
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Melissa Jaffe
Released: 061020 1438
The post *Update*-Delaware State Police Investigating Disorderly Group Resulting in Several Arrests- Camden appeared first on Delaware State Police - State of Delaware.