Ellendale– The Delaware State Police arrested 26-year-old Qwantay V. Taylor of Ellendale, DE, after a vehicle pursuit led to the discovery of a firearm.
The incident occurred on June 8, 2020, at approximately 11:43 a.m., when a Trooper observed the driver of a red Ford Expedition failing to obey a stop sign and double solid line at E. Robbins Road and S. Old State Road, Ellendale. A traffic stop was initiated when the driver failed to stop, and a pursuit ensued. The driver of the Expedition continued to travel at a high rate of speed and eventually came to a stop in a driveway on S. Old State Road. The driver, identified as Qwantay V. Taylor, was taken into custody without further incident. Also traveling in the Expedition during this incident were five juveniles ranging from ages 2-15. The youngest child was not in a car seat.
A search of the vehicle was conducted and led to the discovery of a concealed handgun inside of the center console. A computer inquiry revealed that Taylor was a person prohibited from possessing a firearm.
Taylor was transported back to Troop 7 where he was charged with the following:
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition by a Person Prohibited Prior Violent Crime or Felony
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon A Firearm (Felony)
- Disregarding a Police Officer Signal (Felony)
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child (5 counts)
- Child Under 8 and < 65 lbs. or Child 8 to 15 or > 65 lbs. must be in Child Restraint
- Failure to Obey a Traffic Device
- Following a Motor Vehicle Too Closely
- Driving Vehicle at Unreasonable or Imprudent Speed
Taylor was arraigned before the Justice of the Peace Court and committed to the Sussex Correctional Institute on $87004.00 secured bond.
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Melissa Jaffe
Released: 060820 1847